Welcome to the Equality Coaching Alliance Forum

Equality Coaching Alliance was conceived of as a virtual meeting place for coaches to discuss LGBT coaching issues. Issues that affect our work and our lives and the lives of those we coach. Together we can build a safer and more inclusive world for all athletes, coaches and their supporters.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Personification of Fear


The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -FDR

Fear is something that hinders everyone. Can anyone truly say that they are fearless? Think of all of the different situations where fear has kept you from doing something? Do you have any big regrets? Did you come up with any situations where fear dictated what you did?  I did. I also came up with situations where fear gave its best effort and failed. I came out to friends, family, colleagues, and the workplace. Fear was trying to control my life. Trying to keep the closet door shut. It was trying to keep me isolated. Fear was trying to keep me away from being the best version of myself.

Fear is something that we each give power to. If I can continue to come out time and time again, then maybe you who are crippled with fear will see that fear is nothing more than a thought. Maybe then you will see that the world, your workplace, isn’t all that terrifying. Maybe then you’ll see that those around you love you even more because you are sharing your whole self with them. There is a good chance they’ll respect you even more.

So, if I can continue to silence my fear and realize those time I am giving it power, then I will. If it provides encouragement to those who are still hidden, then I will. I will keep speaking, keep writing and keep reaching out to those who are fearful of life without fear.



Thanks for the inspiration Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment