![]() |
| Graeme Obree |
Graeme Obree just doesn't get it.
The Scottish cyclist came out earlier this year, but this week told the Scottish Sun athletes should not come out until after they retire:
"While I was competing and in a changing room environment there was no way I would come out.
"You'd always be worrying if other people were thinking, 'Is he checking me out?' "
He added: "There are SPL footballers who are gay, I know that for a fact.
"But if I was in their position there is no way I would come out.
"It would be too awkward in the dressing room.
"You need to be retired first. Even now I wouldn't do coaching because it's still an awkward situation."
Reality is, coming out is a personal decision an athlete should make when he or she feels ready to do so. Stories abound of athletes and coaches who have come out during their careers who have had positive experiences. As the Sun notes, although Obree won the world sprint championships twice while in the closet
...troubled Obree also endured a private battle with depression.
He twice tried to commit suicide as he struggled to come to terms with his sexuality.
What most of us who are out have learned, it doesn't better until you are out.

It sounds, unfortunately, like the man still has some work to do on self-acceptance.
ReplyDelete