It has barely been three days since I decided to see if forming an LGBT-centric coaching network would be feasible and already I am overwhelmed by the response we are getting strictly through word of mouth. Obviously the people I have reached out to initially are those of us very publicly out and active; in other words, in the most comfortable positions possible for us at this time. But this is a group that I feel very much over the course of time can prove to be a valuable resource for those coaches who are not in such comfortable, supportive positions.
It's very funny: when I was interviewing for a communications position at an animal rights organization a few years back, I was asked what my passion was. There are so many things about which I am passionate that I could not quite understand what they were asking. I mean, I had at the time three dogs and six cats, all of them named after Alexander the Great and his generals, ancestors and friends. Were they questioning my commitment to animals?
They were asking because they said from my volunteer activities it was apparent to them I was committed to the gay rights movement. And that made me laugh because I had always seen myself as a sports activist.
So, when people ask me why I started this group, what can I say: I think sports is one of the most valuable experiences in which we can engage; all too often the opportunities are not open to all of us or they are done in ways that harm and hinder rathe than advance; and I believe coaching is one of the most vital activities in which we can help those around us to be better people in a better world. And I want a place I can talk with my peers who walk the same path I do.
So, let's talk: what would you like ECA to be?

I would like ECA to be a robust forum for GLBT coaches (and allies) to discuss coaching and sports issues, from a GLBT perspective.
ReplyDeleteHopefully we'll post news and info; share ideas and experience; provide support to each other (and to coaches who are not yet ready to be out) -- and have fun in the process.
Oh yeah, and win. -- Dan Woog
I agree with Dan. I think I would like to see a forum for coaches to be resources for one another. I would like to be able to help coaches who are having their own struggles, whatever they may be.
ReplyDeleteSomeone once told me that they would love to see the day when an athlete coming out isn't news. I hope that we can help make that happen.